Monday, October 27, 2008

An open letter to the presidential candidates

With the election a mere week away, I've decided to make a rare venture into politics with today's blog post. Feel free to add, in the comments, items you are looking for in your next president.


Dear Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama,

Lately, it seems, you've both done a lot of talking without really saying anything. You point fingers at each other and say, "Well, at least I haven't done what that guy did, so you should vote for me."

I'm tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

And in light of the struggles with which our world currently contends, that's not enough anymore. Since neither of you have said the magic words that will get my vote, let me tell you what I'm looking for in a leader.

1. I'm looking for a leader who puts his heart for America ahead of his loyalty to his party. I don't care whether you call yourself a Democrat or Republican. As far as I can tell, slapping a label on someone -- even if it's yourself -- is a big step backward.

2. I'm looking for a leader who remembers a large part of America exists between Los Angeles and New York City.

3. Im looking for a leader who knows what it's like to live from paycheck to paycheck for at least a year, one who knows the difference between living and surviving, one who knows that there are folks out there struggling to pay for the prescription medication that keeps them tethered to life. Come out of your crowd long enough to realize most Americans can't afford a $50,000 car and $800/month health insurance.

4. I'm looking for a leader with skills at diplomacy, one who understands that other cultures exist -- ones that are much different than our own -- and that it's best for Americans to focus on what's going on in their own backyard.

5. That being said, I'm also looking for a leader who will finish what we started. Our next leader needs to discern the appropriate time to withdraw from Iraq. Bring our boys (and girls) home soon and safe.

6. I'm looking for a leader who will spend my money wisely. I understand the bailout, but I'm not handing over my hard-earned check to Uncle Sam to put more money in the pockets of executives. I demand accountability.


7. I'm looking for a leader who will remember that I, as an American, have inalienable rights.

8. I'm looking for a leader who will choose his cabinet wisely. Ask yourself this question: Who do you trust with your grandmother's and/or grandchildren's life/health/safety/future?

9. I'm looking for a leader who plays by the same rules as Joe the Plummer, Sally Housecoat and Johnny Lunchbox.

10. I'm looking for a leader who will use his brain for business and justice and follow his heart for America.

I don't want empty promises. If you, John McCain or Barack Obama, cannot stand up for these things, then neither of you deserve my vote.

Sincerely,

Kat the Reporter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I'm looking for a leader who plays by the same rules as Joe the Plummer, Sally Housecoat and Johnny Lunchbox."

With all the money flying out of the candidate's hands to rip on each other, buy votes, etc....I'm fed up.

We, the "little" peoples you described so well above, are lost in the shuffle.

It's turned into something so frustrating. Like we can never get to the truth of anything. Grrrr.