Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V is for Sparing Me From Politics

I'm doing the A-to-Z Blog Challenge.

Today is for V, and V is for VERBAL VOMIT.

I don't like to get into politics. The topic is too divisive, and I think people who follow this blog -- all twelve of you -- aren't really interested in my interpretation of the Bill of Rights.

I'm not arrogant enough to think anyone would care if I stomped my feet and vowed to move to Canada if the candidate I don't support ends up in office.

Plus, why should I move? S/He's the one who sucks.

Seriously, though, such tantrums bandied about by celebrities are an insult to those whose need for asylum is a life-and-death situation. It's a slap in the face to the innocent people whose wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time circumstances resulted in their deaths.

To the 6 million Jews killed during the Holocaust.

To the 2 million Cambodians and Chinese who died under the Khmer Rouge.

To the millions who died under Joseph Stalin's rule in the Soviet Union.

To the hundreds of thousands killed under Idi Amin's rule in Uganda.

The countless victims of daesh in Syria and Iraq.

Those people were loved by someone. They had wants and dreams and talents that could've made a difference in the world. And they lost what they had -- most of them in excruciating ways -- because of real political strife.

Please don't interpret this post as an endorsement of one candidate over another. It's not.

And celebs on both sides of the political spectrum have thrown this ridiculous tantrum.

You'll have to forgive me for not buying into the verbal vomit of those who live in these United States of Entitlement and still find a reason to complain.
* * *
Kathryn Harris is an award-winning journalist, professional whiner and author of the contemporary not-nearly-enough-smut-for-today's-horndog-readers novel "The Long Road to Heaven."

1 comment:

C R Ward said...

I try to stay out of politics, especially on the social networks - there's just no right thing to say about them. But I have to say, it was bad enough having to go through all the crap with the Canadian elections, the American election seems to be dragging on forever!

Carol at My Writing Journal