Monday, April 25, 2016

U is for a Leap of Faith

I'm doing the A-to-Z Blog Challenge.

Today is for U, and U is for UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm a little late with today's post, but I still made U on its assigned day.

I had started writing a post on another topic last night, but I got sidetracked when my husband started watching The Babadook on Netflix.

By the time I got around to finishing the post, my ambition had waned and it was time for bed. I lost the inspiration sometime overnight, and it stayed lost until I started pushing my lawnmower around the yard a few minutes ago.

                          Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive 
                         the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”
                                                                                -Luke 18:17


My mind began wandering to a few days ago when I read an article about a Eucharistic miracle in Poland that demonstrated Luke 18:17 says.

Summary: On Christmas Day 2013, a consecrated host fell to the floor during Mass. The priest placed it in a container with water and red stains -- later verified by the Department of Forensic Medicine as tissue similar to a heart muscle -- began to appear.

The article had led to a conversation with my husband and daughter about the leaps of faith Christians make and how rampant cynicism in modern society has made taking those leaps of faith more challenging.

Think about it for a moment. You have to approach spirituality with the naivete of a child or your faith will fall flat.

As a Catholic, I'm asked to believe in God the Father, Jesus the Son, the Holy Spirit, the Communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting, as well as a few other things. 

That's quite the list. The resurrection of the body alone is enough to earn a few sidelong glances from people who probably sit right next to me in church and proclaim the same belief each week without really thinking about what they're saying.  

How can I believe such a thing when everything in the world tells me that's not possible? 

Well, God is not of this world.

How is the resurrection of the body anymore far-fetched than the fact that you and I -- two living,  breathing, thinking, decision-making beings -- came from a single act that united two very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very small cells?

It's not. If you're willing to make that leap of faith. Because through Him, all things are possible. 

* * *
Kathryn Harris is an award-winning journalist, professional whiner and author of the contemporary not-nearly-enough-smut-for-today's-horndog-readers novel "The Long Road to Heaven."



No comments: