Thursday, January 15, 2009

Winter in Nebraska

As if waking up to -27 windchill this morning wasn't bad enough, I received this photo in a text message from my husband's boss.

Yes, that's my husband. No, he hasn't seen "A Christmas Story."

Don't worry. He's fine. I'm guessing the bottle of Mountain Dew in his paw kept him from having to put a Band-Aid on the end of his tongue.

As cliche as it may be, the weather is the hot topic in my neck of the woods this week.

It's not pleasant in Nebraska right now.

January and February rarely are.

But one of the really nice things about Nebraska is the sense of humor my neighbors across the state have when times are . . .well, icky.

I don't know who wrote this, but I found myself smiling when a co-worker forwarded it to me this morning. It sums up a Nebraska winter pretty well.

So, I thought I'd share it.

*********************************

Nebraska

It's winter in Nebraska
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love Nebraska
when the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Nebraska
Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

--Unknown

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My in-laws are in Nebraska, and they're originally from California so they are always talking about how cold it is out there. I'm going to forward them this poem. :)

thank goodness your husband had that mt.dew with him.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious poem! ANd, oh...what a GREAT pic of your hubby!!! Thanks for the laugh. :D

KM Wilsher said...

brrrr. LOL Thank you for the post. Great picture!

Anonymous said...

ROTFL----That line is hilarious. "Yes, that's my husband. No, he hasn't seen "A Christmas Story."

I laughed out loud.

Oh I remember the days, having been raised in Minnesota. Heck, I was born in FARGO, ND...yeah, so I know cold. HENCE, the move to the desert.

It's to be 76 today. And sunny.

No tongues getting stuck to metal out here, thankfullly.

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

UPDATE:

It wasn't the Mt. Dew that got his tongue unstuck from the pole. The Mt. Dew only made it worse.

Had it not been for my husband's boss pouring hot coffee over his tongue, Dana might have been suffered more than a somewhat frostbit tongue.

About Me said...

I think he learned his lesson! Boy, I would have been panicking, wait, but I wouldn't have been in this situation. I tend to hide in my hole for the winter. :)

richgoldstein13 said...

The cold isn't so bad, it could be much worse, it could be hot.

Sex Mahoney for President

Rosslyn Elliott said...

The poem is awesome. The picture is even better! That's one for the ages.