Friday, January 16, 2009

Gimme some Philly blues

When he was still just a little boy (in my eyes), my brother-in-law Jesse sold his parents' car and ran away to Philadelphia with his blues-playing buddies.

Angry (and worried), few of us heard from Jesse in the two years he was out there in the city of brotherly love.

As it turned out, he was doing all right for himself. His band, K-Floor, had the opportunity to open for a lot of big-name acts like Johnny Winter and Jimmie Vaughan.

The lifestyle eventually took its toll on him, and he returned to the Midwest.

But the music he wrote with his bandmates out in Philly remains some of the best blues I've ever heard.

One of my favorites is the song in this video. It was written by Jesse and the band's lead singer/guitarist Nick Schlebelen (forgive me Nick if I've slaughtered your name). (This isn't my husband's brother playing drums in the video, though.)

It's called, "May I Be Excused."

Enjoy!



Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

KM Wilsher said...

What a great story. I sure know about the toll the music lifestyle can have on a person. I tried to break into rocknroll when I was young. . . not a pretty picture in the end.
Great song. You live an exciting life, Kat! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing that, Kat. I agree with gzusfreek, you live an exciting life, girl!

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

In the immortal words of Joe Dirt: "Life's a garden. Dig it."