Monday, June 2, 2008

Soundtrack for a book? It's in the works

I'm ecstatic.

A little more than a year ago, my husband and I played in a band together with three other incredibly talented musicians. We have since gone separate ways with our former bandmates for a variety of reasons, but we enjoyed a very full gig schedule while it lasted.

Also, during that time, I learned the complicated process of writing music. My husband and I wrote two songs together that our audience loved when the band performed live. By the time we played our last shows together, our regular crowd had memorized the words and would sing along.

I wrote the lyrics of both songs from Heather's point of view in hopes that one day I would be able to write a complete "soundtrack" to accompany "Long Road." My desire since the band departed was to one day record those songs on a digital recorder.

Yesterday, we did just that. The drummer for our band, who coincidentally was hired to work at the same paper for which I work, brought his kit to our house and laid down the drum tracks for the songs. My husband had already recorded the guitar tracks for both. Last night, after our drummer left, my husband talked me into recording the vocals for the hard rock song, and when I finished, he laid down the bass tracks.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the finished, yet unmastered, product. The only thing we are missing is about 9 seconds of a knock-down, drag-out fist fight between a guy and a girl to go over the bridge of the song. We'll work on that tonight.

I'm ecstatic about how awesome this product has turned out, and I can't wait to share it with you.

Keep reading...more will come soon.

No comments: