Sunday, August 2, 2015

Make Sure To Put This On Today's Agenda

One of my dearest friends suggested I write about living in the moment.

The suggestion came on the heels of the marathon phone conversation we'd just had. 

We'd just spent 90 minutes -- like I said, a marathon conversation -- talking about a recent health scare she'd experienced and how her condition had a ripple effect on the lives of so many people who love her.

Although I'd had conversations with her while in the midst of her health crisis, I was too far removed from the situation to truly see the depth of its impact.

I'm happy to say she is on the mend. She said this past weekend she felt better than she had for a long time, and she was happy to once again be able to live in the moment.

Her message hit me especially hard because one of my co-workers died this past week at age 45, and I've been thinking a lot about the large part of life he will not get to experience.

I think we often spend too much time living in the good ol' days of our memories or daydreaming about how we want things to be in the future. The lack of focus on the here and now is like a thief that robs us of the appreciation we should have for life.

So I guess today's message is it's okay to remember the past and dream about the future, as long as we remember to live in the moment.

"This is the day the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it." - Psalm 118: 24



* * *
Kathryn Harris is a journalist, a weekend blogger, a wife, a mother of two and the author of "The Long Road to Heaven," a novel about finding faith and forgiveness in the aftermath of addiction.  

No comments: