Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Zombie Apocalypse is upon us

On my MP3 player, I have a song by Rob Zombie called "Living Dead Girl."

It's a great song to get me pumped up for working out at the gym. I admit, though, it's got some strange lyrics.

But what would you expect from an artist whose last (stage) name is Zombie?

When it came on during my treadmill run today, it started me thinking about zombies and the living dead and the fascination the public now seems to have regarding a zombie apocalypse.

I eventually asked myself: What is a living dead girl anyway?

It didn't take me long to realize I've been the definition of "Living Dead" before.

A living dead person is someone who fears life so much he/she avoids it.

He or she fears feelings so much great steps are taken to numb them.

Opportunities for finding love or having fun are cast off to avoid the fear of being hurt or rejected.

We sit at our computers escaping into online identities that give us a false sense of empowerment through anonymity.

We plop ourselves in front of the TV and live vicariously through people who aren't real.

We allow ourselves to believe lies about the true sources of our happiness and comfort - alcohol, drugs, meaningless sex, food, etc.

The fear of rejection from our peers paralyzes is into accepting perceptions that someone else developed and made you believe about yourself.

If that description fits you, then it's time to let go of that fear. It's time to come back to life. It's time to rejoin the living.

Go Out And Live.

Set a goal. Make it as ridiculous as you want to. Daydream about what it will look like when you reach those goals. And then get out there and do the things you've always wanted to do.

But before you leave...tell me about your goals in the comments below or via email. I look forward to reading about them.

Happy reaching!

No comments: