Friday, February 12, 2010

IKHO's Top III Sexiest Songs of All Time: What tunes make your list?

By now I'm sure you've heard that Billboard released its rankings of the 50 sexiest songs.

Olivia Newto-John's 1980 hit "Physical" topped the list, followed by Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night." Boyz II Men's ballad "I'll Make Love to You" rounded out the top three.

Oddly enough, the word "sex" isn't mentioned in any of the song titles until No. 10, which is another Rod Steward Classic -- "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

The list was based on popularity of songs from 1958 until January of this year.

Personally, I've never liked these lists. More often than not, they include songs that have received so much radio airplay I'd rather stab my eardrums out with icepicks than hear them again. (Hmmm...I've used that line before. Haven't I?)

This list, in particular, makes me cringe because it is based on popularity and content of lyrics.

That doesn't seem right. I mean, just because something was popular doesn't mean it was sexy. Just because something talks about "gettin' it on" doesn't mean it's going to put anyone in the mood.

Am I right?

In my opinion, a song should be defined as "sexy" based not on the content of lyrics or popularity, but the overall mood set by the music.

So I have decided to compile The IKHO (that's In Kat's Honest Opinion) Top III Sexiest Songs of All Time. It's not based on popularity (in fact, one was never released as a single), nor is it based on the content of the song's lyrics.

The 2010 IKHO Top III Sexiest Songs of All Time are:

3. Boardwalk Angel by John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band. This is an unreleased song from the 1983 movie Eddie & the Cruisers. The saxophone helps boosts this song into my top III.




2. Beautiful Mess by Diamond Rio. DISCLAIMER: I'm not a fan of country music at all. But this band surprised the heck out of me when they released this little ditty in 2002.



1. Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. No surprise here. This song is -- without a doubt -- the sexiest song ever recorded. (Again, IKHO). Just listen for yourself.




What songs are on your Valentine's Day Sexiest Songs of All Time List?

8 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

If not number one, near the top definitely should have been "Je T'Aime (Moi Non Plus) by Serge Gainsborough and Jane Birkin, which is one hot number.

Or "La Tortura" by Shakira & Alejandro Sanz. I don't know what they're saying in the lyrics, but that video is pretty wild. Actually Shakira has several songs that could be contenders. How could they leave out one of the sexiest singers around?

Madonna "Hung Up" The song is as sexy as most on the list and the video is da bomb.

Kat Heckenbach said...

"Save a Prayer" by Duran Duran. Definitely.

KM Wilsher said...

Kat, I have to agree with Wicked Game - for sure.
If I think of another one, I'll come back, til then? - Wicked Game!
For sure!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I totally agree about the mood of the song detemining the "sexy" of the song. A song is sexy when you listen to the music and not the words and feel it.

Teresa

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I'm going to have to ponder this one for a while. So many choices!

LynnRush said...

OMG. WICKED GAMES!!!!!!!!! Right on!

Eric said...

I agree with this post, except for song number 2. It is definitely a fun song (coming from someone who's not a huge fan of all country), but I don't think it's tremendously sexy. Your number one choice though is dead on. Nothin better.

Tara said...

I thought of a couple as I read through. Then I got to your #1 pick. Hadn't thought of it, but you're dead on. There really is nothing sexier than that song--or the video that goes with it!

Here In My Room, by Incubus, would be #2 for me.

I'd have to think a while on #3, but I'd place bets on it being a NIN song. Trent Reznor's songs exude sexiness even though they're pretty much all downers. Hmm.

I find nothing sexy about Physical, possibly because I see visions of ONJ jumping around in leg warmers and a sweat band. Oh, now that's sexy, gah.