Monday, July 6, 2009

Fenced in

Every now and then I feel guilty because of the amount of time I don't spend spreading my writerly wings.

A roadtrip in the country last weekend, however, supplied ample inspiration for other projects.

Here's a piece of one such endeavor, sparked by this photo I took on my Sunday drive.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I plant my foot on the ground. A cloud of dust curls upward, leaving a heavy layer of earth on the toes of my boots.

"I don't think you should do this." His voice sounds out-of-place, like a wrong note in the symphony of nature.

I shield my eyes, squinting as I raise my face to him; he's no more than a shadow against the backlight of the afternoon sun.

My response lodges in the back of my throat: He told me I have to. I turn my back.

Heat rises from the sleek coat of my mare as I gather her reins and hand them over.

Forcing a rough breath, I ignore the squeal of the rusty hinge as the door sways in the wind.

"Promise you won't leave me here?"

His gelding stamps and grunts, nuzzling the neck of my horse. He leans forward, patting the animal as he says, "I promise."

I know it's a lie.

Have you been inspired recently?








7 comments:

About Me said...

Nice piece Kat! You write beautifully!

Have I been inspired recently? Sadly no. Tough times at work has really zapped my inspiration, but while I'm on vac, I'm finding that that inspiration is finding it's way back.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I wish! I think the traditional sense of "inspiration" is the opposite of what I've been through lately. As I pound out the end of my novel, I keep having to tell myself "99% of success is just showing up." MUCH less inspiration than usual in the sense of effortless, fun wordsmithing. My crit partners, however, are telling me that there's a lot of good stuff in these laborious ending chapters. I hang on to that as a lifeline. Gotta finish this thing.

I like your scene! It's great when those images just pour out.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm - I love it!!!

Elana Johnson said...

Ooh, nice. Very nice. :) My inspiration has been like, invisible lately. I did finally get my closet cleaned out, and I've slept in my own bed for more than 2 nights, so I think she's coming back now. Slowly. Ever so slowly.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is great! Nice job.

Yeah. I got clobbered over the head with a story idea on Sunday and I've been clacking away at the computer ever since.

Boy, when it hits, it hits. LOL.

Write on!!

KM Wilsher said...

Man, I feel inferior to the likes of Lynn Rush and Kat Harris. Nice post :) I have so much going on I always feel guilty for taking time to write. . .This post is an inspiration.

Michelle Gregory said...

Kat,
we can't spend every minute writing. sometimes the brain needs a rest. glad you were inspired.

thanks for the kudos on KM's blog.

Gzusfreek - you write like you. no need to be intimiated by anyone.