Tuesday, September 9, 2008

'Sarahcuda' angers rock icons



Blogger's Note: The first band I sang in played this song. Barracuda has always had special meaning for me. Because of this song, I broke my foot, but that's a blog for another time.

So, this ain’t the end, we heard them again today…
Play’n a song they were asked not to play.

John McCain and Sarah Palin shouldn’t count on the Wilson sisters’ vote. Ann and Nancy Wilson, the sister act-powerhouse behind the band Heart, asked the McCain/Palin campaign to stop using their song “Barracuda” at rallies.

When the song was played after Palin’s convention speech last week (Palin earned the nickname “Sarah Barracuda” playing basketball in high school), the band members quickly requested that McCain and Palin pull the plug.

“Sarah Palin’s views and values in no way represent us as American women,” Ann and Nancy Wilson told Entertainment Weekly. “We ask that our song ‘Barracuda’ no longer be used to promote her image.”

But at the song was played yesterday in the streets of Lebanon, Ohio, prior to a GOP rally. The McCain camp said last week that it had paid for and obtained all necessary licenses before using the song.

(The irony of this story lies in the support the band’s former guitarist, Roger Fisher, gives to the Obama campaign. Heart receives royalties for the use of the song and part of that money is kicked back into the Obama campaign.)

The facet to this story that troubles me is this: If McCain and Palin already aren’t listening to the wishes of American icons (like one of the hottest rock bands of the 1970s), what does it say about how they will listen to the American people if they’re elected?

And this is coming from a blogger who hasn't even yet tried to decide which party has her vote!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I hadn't heard any of this yet. OMG. Oh politics......

This is a great song, I thought it was funny when they played it, cute, because of her nickname. Sounds like Palin was sort of a sports junky....A girl after my own heart, LOL.

It's funny that them paying royalties, then the money going to Obama's campaign. That's ironic, isn't it?

Have a great day.

JC Lamont said...

Haha, I know the broken foot story.

Sorry, I had to brag.

TerriRainer said...

Sounds like Ann and Nancy Wilson should pay more attention to the business side of their work...you'd think they would have known that they were using the song legally and had paid for the rights to do so (don't get me wrong, I love Heart).

:) Terri