Thursday, February 14, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to work

A funny thing happened to me on the way to work. Not this morning. As a matter of fact, it was quite some time ago, but I like sharing this story because it illustrates how God uses humor in my life to get His point across.
I love my job. Don't get me wrong.
There are times, however, when I get bored. About three years ago, I was finding myself in a career lull. I had been editing the faith section of the newspaper and doing entertainment stories for quite some time. I had the opportunity to interview some pretty big names in show biz: "Weird" Al, Larry the Cable Guy, Ron White, Dierks Bentley, Third Day, MercyMe, Susan Tedeschi, Cheap Trick. I had written some awesome faith-based stories about the end-times and faith healing.
What left was there to do?
I found myself wondering whether I had done all of the writing God wanted me to do. I was writing all of these stories about people who had given up everything in their lives to do mission work and, after reading and praying over the New Testament, I wondered if I deserved the blessings I was receiving.
Then I interviewed Todd Agnew.
Todd, for those of you who don't know, is a Christian musician. (Actually, I believe when Jesus sings, it sounds like Todd Agnew.) He's awesome.
His publicist sent me a copy of his new CD "Reflection of Something." (This was a couple years ago.) I found myself mesmerized by the music. Every morning I listened to Track 5 on the way to work. Listening to the intricate way the guitar worked with his voice kept me focused on the beautiful creation around me instead of the lack of joy I was finding in my work. Every morning -- for weeks -- I listened to this song. I never even knew what the name of it was. I could sing it though: "I saw the Lord, seated on a throne, high and exalted and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were angels with six mighty wings . . .and they sang holy holy holy is the Lord Almighty...."
Well, one day I decided to clean out the horrid mess that had somehow accumulated in my vehicle. In the process of cleaning, the CD jacket fell out and I saw the name of the song was Isaiah 6.
"Awesome," I thought to myself. "Later on, I'll have to go look this passage up and see what it's all about."
Later on that evening, as I climbed into bed and waited for my husband to finish taking the shower, I was mulling over my thoughts for the day. My husband's Bible fell off the headboard of the bed and literally conked me on the head. I suddenly remember I was going to look up that passage.
Imagine my surprise when I read the very next line of the passage -- the song stops just short of using this line -- and discovered that God was asking "Whom shall I send to be my messenger?"
Uh? Perhaps the editor of a faith section in a newspaper? Perhaps a writer who often questions why she has been blessed with passion and love of bringing His word to people?
OK, God. I get the picture. I'm supposed to be doing this job.
I recently had another opportunity to interview Todd Agnew again. I found it amusing when he talked about why he couldn't understand how God used someone as simple, someone without a formal education in Biblical teaching as himself to spread His word.
Well, Todd, I wonder the same thing about myself.

3 comments:

Catherine West said...

I LOVE Grace Like Rain. I could sit and listen to that song all day long. It's amazing.
Your job sounds super cool. :0)

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

My job is pretty cool. I just interviewed Duncan from Newsboys the other day. He was a lot of fun to talk to.
I met Todd Agnew when he came to my hometown for a concert shortly after the first time I interviewed him. I was amazed at his humility. After the show, he was walking through the aisles at the theater and picking up some of the litter that had been left by some of the concertgoers.
I was struck by that deed alone. Wow. What a cool guy.
And Grace Like Rain -- love it.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathryn. I guess the point of it all is doing what God has put in front of us to do whether or not we get the kind of recognition or success we think we need (want).

Grace to you,
Matt Jones